Ukraine has extremely rich and complementary mineral resources in high concentrations and close proximity to each other. The country has abundant reserves of coal, iron ore, natural gas, manganese, salt, oil, graphite, sulfur, kaolin, titanium, nickel, magnesium, timber, and mercury.
In the World Mining Data 2019 report, published by the International organizing committee of World Mining Congresses, Ukraine is ranked 28th in the world by total minerals production. Ukraine is among the largest producers of the following minerals:
- 7th place in the world in iron extraction: 39 M tonnes and 2.4% of global output (after Australia, China, Brazil, India, Russia and RSA)
- 8th place in the world in manganese extraction: 651 thousand tonnes and 3.6% of global output (after RSA, Australia, China, Gabon, Brazil, Ghana and India)
- 6th place in the world in titanium extraction: 431 thousand tonnes and 6.3% of global output (after China, RSA, Australia, Canada і Mozambique)
- 2nd place in the world in gallium extraction: 9 tonnes and 2.9% of global output (after China)
- 5th place in the world in germanium extraction: 1 tonne and 1% of global output (after China, Russia, USA and Japan)
- 6th place in the world in kaolins extraction: 2,4 M tonnes and 5,9% of global output (after China, USA, Germany, India and Czech Republic)
- 10th place in the world in zirconium silicate extraction: 26 thousand tonnes and 1,9% of global output (after Australia, RSA, China, Mozambique, Senegal, USA, Kenia, India and Indonesia)
- 8th place in the world in graphite extraction: 13 thousand tonnes and 1.3% of global output (after China, Brazil, North Korea, India, Russia, Canada and Madagascar)
- 13th place in the world in power plant coal extraction: 18,9 M tonnes and 0,4% of global output (after China, India, USA, Indonesia, Australia, RSA, Russia, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Poland, Vietnam and Canada)
- 12th place in the world in coking coal extraction: 5,2 M tonnes and 0,5% of global output (after China, Australia, Russia, USA, India, Canada, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Poland, Mozambique and Colombia)
- 10th place in the world in uranium extraction: 1 tonne and 1,4% of global output (after Kazakhstan, Canada, Australia, Namibia, Niger, Uzbekistan, Russia, China and USA)
In recent years, the Government significantly improved and liberalized the system of granting permits for extraction of minerals. Moreover, at the end of 2019, the State Service of Geology and Subsoil of Ukraine presented an Investment Atlas of Subsoil Management, which comprises over 140 fields to be set for electronic auctions in the nearest future.